I would like to test if it works to serve more websites from one Wordpress installation. By default Wordpress supports subdomains (like Wordpress.com) but I would like to run the installation with second-level domains (SLD). This is described in this article. Maybe in the future Wordpress will support SLD, in that case I will report that in this article.
Why this article?
Yes, I know there are a lot of other howto’s about to install Wordpress Multisite. I did not find a correct one and it confused me. To install Wordpress Multisite for SLD is not complex, it is robust, but there are some tricky things that you need to know. That is why I wrote this article. Ok, let’s start!
When developing websites on a local WAMP installation, I often need control over the DNS. It is no problem to add a hostname to the Windows hosts file, but a wildcard in the domain does not work. For example you need a wildcard domain when installing Wordpress Multisite locally with subdomains. This article has the solution to add wildcards to your local WAMP installation, without installing Bind or other heavy DNS solutions.
To install Zend Framework is not as straight forward like other PHP Frameworks. Also to install it with NetBeans it was not described very well on blogs.sun.com/netbeansphp site. Let’s start!
My assumption is that NetBeans is installed already on Ubuntu. I used NetBeans 6.9.1 and Ubuntu 10.10. In NetBeans are also the PHP plugins installed.
To translate content on your website, it is possible to use Google Translate.
There are 2 ways to do this:
Translating the website on the client side (in Drupal by using the module GTranslate). The website will be readable in more than 50 languages.
Translating the content for every language used on your website.
Because Google Translator does not translates perfectly, the results should be modified. So the last option I would like to use.
One week ago, this site had some URL path changes. It is possible to check for Google crawl errors on: www.google.com/webmasters/tools/
The web crawler errors were containing some paths, which I am not using, but are used by the hosting provider. My directory structure also contains some paths, which not have to be indexed. To prevent that the Google webcrawler has errors, it is good to add this paths to the robots.txt in the root of the domain directory.
If you look to your current URL for this website, you will see a path-prefix /en, because this post in English.
This site is also in Dutch (/nl) and it was also possible to switch to Czech (/cs). This was only to switch the menu's to the Czech language, so I wanted it to remove this language.
With the i18n module, it is possible to make a Drupal site multilingual, but the data such as site name, slogan, mission, etc. are not translated. But with a trick it is possible.
Open the file: /sites/default/settings.php and add the following text:
* Multilingual settings
* This is a collection of variables that can be set up for each language when i18n enabled.
* These are the basic ones for Drupal core, but you can add your own here.
$ conf [ ‘i18n_variables’] = array (
Some of the Drupal Admin pages did not work.
For example the menu: Home »Administer» Site Construction »Menus» Navigation
The problem seemed to be solved after disabling the various modules. But when I went looking for the module what causes the trouble, it was a bit random. In short, the problem was not in the modules, but the extra memory usage that the modules used.
As part of setting up my Drupal site I installed the XML Sitemap Module. Taken from the project page: “XML Sitemap automatically creates a site map that conforms to the sitemaps.org specification. This helps search engines keep their search results up to date“. This is an important part of helping the search engines find my site and have an accurate list of the content on my site. Because I am on Drupal 6 I used a dev version of the module because there is not a stable release available yet. I am using the “6.x-1.x-dev” version. Installation took me a little longer than I expected because I had to create a number of accounts with different search providers to obtain the codes that the module needed. Here is a rundown of installing and configuring the module. (more detailed -albeit not entirely current- directions can be found here)